Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hannah and Miriam....

Today I was able to go to lunch with two amazing people, Hannah and Miriam. Over delicious sandwiches and the constant chatter of people around us, we were able to discuss me going on a mission. The fears, the hopes, where I'd like to serve and where I think I'll serve (two very different places, might I add), embarrassing missionary moments, and all the many joys that come from serving the Lord.
There is nothing like preparing to serve a mission. It's so different than planning a wedding, moving out for the first time or having your first child. Not that I know what two of those three things are like, but I would assume not. When I moved from California to Orem, all I could think about was getting to Utah. Nothing else mattered really. I had my housing ready, and my classes for summer semester, but that was it. No job, no idea how I was going to get from place to place, no friends and nothing could have prepared me for the amount of crazy people to make their way through my apartment. Miriam told me today she was so proud of how I did this all on my own, but to be honest, I kind of just stumbled around until things made sense. I don't want that to be how I prepare for my mission. I want everything to line up perfectly and my medical appointments to be a breeze. I want someone to buy my housing contract so I can move and finish my papers. I want to have the desire to wake up early to study my scriptures. I want to be ready for any possible situation I will face.... Now, that just wouldn't be life now would it?
As much as I want things to go smoothly and everything to work out right away, I could be missing out on so many opportunities for me to learn and grow. Take last night for example, when I went to Walmart after work and walked all the way home just to find that the box of wart remover I had bought was empty. I was so tired as I pushed my cart through the store that I just grabbed the box and through it in the cart without looking at it carefully. Now I have to get all bundled up, and brave the cold Utah winter during the 15 minute walk back to Walmart where I will try to explain to their customer service that I bought and empty box on accident and was not trying to steal from them. Now I know I'll be more vigilant when it comes to shopping. It might seem small now (and slightly embarrassing. Seriously, who steals wart remover???), but down the road when I'm ready to buy a car or a house, I'll make sure that everything is right and where it should be so I don't have to worry about the huge pain it will be to fix it.
As our lunch went on, the conversation moved from missionary stuff to parenting stuff, which honestly I think is fun to listen to. It's like a preview to what I will be getting myself into in a few years. I make mental notes and tuck them away until the day when my poor screaming baby has an ear infection. Then I will remember, oh yeah, Miriam said once that garlic and olive oil gets rid of ear infections.... Ta dah! No more screaming baby! Or if my some freaky chance I have twins (and I cringe a little at the thought of it), I will have Hannah and all her words of wisdom about how to not go crazy.... for the most part. Honestly, if I manage in my life to do half of what those two amazing women have done in theirs, I will be one very happy and content mother.

1 comment:

  1. I love your first post!! You are doing so great. Enjoy the few weeks you have left in Utah and keep posting. You will be a wonderful missionary.

    ReplyDelete